Star Micronics to Launch the SD-26, a CNC Swiss-Type Automatic Lathe
Star Micronics has developed the SD-26, a new model Swiss type automatic lathe(*1) capable of up to 26-dia. machining. It is mainly targeted at complex-shaped parts for automotive, hydraulic/pneumatic equipment and medical-related uses, and will be available for sale worldwide from April 2023.
The SD-26 employs a gate-shaped tool post with a cross-guide structure(*2) that distributes the load evenly, arranged on the gang-type tool post for front-end machining so as to surround the guide bush that is the machining point for various tools such as turning tools and drills. The following 4 types are available, allowing you to select the most suitable tool post specification according to the application of the workpieces.
① “Type S”: Equipped with a 4-spindle facing-type milling unit with a tool swivel control axis (B-axis) capable of programmable simultaneous 5-axes control
The upper section has one cartridge-type position with a 2nd B-axis mechanism that can provide swivel control for the dedicated tool unit. Various types of tool units can be mounted, including the world-first twin-thread whirling unit.
② “Type G”: Equipped with a 4-spindle facing-type milling unit with a tool swivel control axis (B-axis) capable of programmable simultaneous 5-axes control
The upper section has two cartridge-type positions capable of mounting various tool units of existing models.
*The two cartridge-type positions are common to types G/E/C.
③ “Type E”: Equipped with a 4-spindle facing-type milling unit with a tool swivel control axis (B-axis) capable of programmable simultaneous 4-axes control
④ “Type C”: Equipped with 4-spindle facing-type milling unit for which the angle is manually adjustable.
- You can select from 4 types for the optimum specification according to the shape of workpiece, from the “Type S”, which is equipped with 4-spindle facing-type milling unit with B-axis control capable of simultaneous 5-axes control and cartridge-type tool unit with B-axis control mechanism, through to “Type C”, equipped with a 4-spindle milling unit for which the angle is manually adjustable.
- For the cross drilling unit on the front side, you can select from two types: the 4-spindle type dedicated for cross drilling, and the cartridge-type 4-spindle type on which tool units from existing models can be mounted. (Type S has the cartridge-type 4-spindle type only)
- A 8-spindle unit with Y-axis control is mounted for machining on the back side. The rotating tool unit can be mounted on all 8 positions, for expanded complex machining capability on the back side.
- An optional two turning tool holder can be mounted on the 8-spindle unit with Y-axis control. Enhanced turning capability on the back side realizes efficient division of machining on the front and back sides.
- The machine is equipped with our proprietary control method, the Star Motion Control system. (Types S and G) NC control is used to drastically reduce the required calculation time during operation and non-cutting time such as tool selection time, shortening the cycle time per part and achieving reduced energy consumption.
High rigidity and accuracy
- The 4-spindle facing-type milling unit with B-axis control employs a structure for holding the upper and lower ends, and maintains unit hold rigidity during swivel machining.
- The main and sub spindle employ a built-in spindle structure, realizing improved indexing accuracy.
- The machine employs various functions to maintain machining accuracy, such as flexible thermal displacement correction using temperature sensors arranged on each section of the machine body, and a dimension assist function that automatically corrects dimensional changes during temporary machine stoppages.
- The gate-shaped tool post for front side machining employs a cross-guide structure with an evenly distributed load. This reduces the moment load on the tool post guide rail during cutting, maintaining tool post rigidity.
- The Star Motion Control System’s spindle control utilizes the machining time of the previous stage to select the tool for the next stage and complete the approach, which suppresses vibration from excessive deceleration during spindle movement. (Types S and G)